Wednesday, 10 June 2015

Lessons from a Kite




Squinting against the sun
I looked up at the sky,
A gentle breeze blew the clouds
Today my kite would fly.

Proudly I carried the roller and thread
A hop and a skip, there was Dad ahead,
A glance now and then at the colourful kite
A smile curving all the way upto my eyes.

Then at the meadow
Where the flowers grew wild,
And the birds chirped in bushes
At the restless little child.

I tugged at Dad's hands
That held the kite tight,
And my head bobbed up and down
In childish delight.

"Make my kite fly high, Dad!
Make it go up in the sky, Dad!
Hurry up Dad, there's a breeze blowing now,
Here's the roller Dad, just show me how!

Looking fondly down at the excited child
The kite with the thread to the roller he tied,
"Patience my child, have patience, my son,
This kite won't fly until I'm all done.

You don't wanna lose your kite
'fore it's halfway up the sky,
'tis the wind on which it's borne
But the roller guides it home.

How high it goes up in the sky
Is anybody's guess,
It all depends on whether 
You roll out more or less.

You must know when to pull in
And when to let it free,
Life's lesson, you know",
He winked up at me.

"And when the kite is up high
Then applause it must share,
It mustn't ever forget
'twas the wind that brought it there.

And be thankful ever too
To the strength of the thread,
That held it so secure
As it raced on up ahead".

My ears heard his words
But it didn't seem to matter,
My eyes on the kite
As I felt the wind lift 'er.

Up , up and away, as Dad spooled out the thread,
Up above the trees and over my head,
Gently he guided, pulling in, letting free,
Today the kite.....tomorrow me!

Now as I watch 
kites dancing in the skies, 
I think of all Dad taught me
Of his words so truly wise.

Thus a day out in the meadow
Life's lessons I had learned,
As I aim for the skies
Feet firmly on the ground

-----*****-----

13 comments:

  1. Truly magical!wonderful words that bring out the child in u feels nostalgic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gently he guided, pulling in, letting free,
    Today the kite.....tomorrow me!

    Fantastic Didi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pankaj, thank you for liking it. Those lines are my favorite too.

      Delete
  3. Indeed life's lesson....when to pull in and when to let it free.....awesome becky ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shalini. I'm happy that you all are enjoying my poems and liking particular lines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful, Becky aunty! Loved it! Keep them coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely wonderful, Becky aunty! Loved it! Keep them coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ankita. That means a lot, coming from a talented writer like you.

      Delete
  7. now i understand and believe that the ideal setting /locale is the best inspiration for a writer and poet.... " the jackal creek inspirations "....
    truly loved it .... Let one fly away to Dad up there .....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Ronnie you are absolutely right. South Africa has brought out the poetic side of me. Now that the seed is sown, hope it flourishes and grows even when I return home to India. And yes this one is for Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an amazing portrayal of the life lessons given by fathers.

    ReplyDelete